Poetry v. The World: It’s morning

I wake up decently earlier, usually shooting for around 8:30 everyday. Nothing crazy, but enough to where I still get to enjoy a morning routine.

For about an hour from when I wake up to when I finish breakfast, I am in this odd state of mind. While I’m mostly awake, the adult, “get things done” part of me isn’t. None of my obligations have any weight to them, and I can just kind of boot up my systems without the pressures of reality that plague every other time of day. It’s a calm that I appreciate. Especially on a beautiful morning like this one, where I’m thankful my apartment has so many windows.

The concept for this poem actually came from a song called Goodmorning by Bleachers. He encapsulates the feeling of oblivion from when you first wake up, before anything sets in. The lines “One foot out and I knew the weight was coming/ cause I left it by the bed last night” in particular always stands out to me. It’s morning┬áisn’t so much about the unconscious absence of mind, but rather the fact that the light grogginess of just waking up can dull my anxiety to a point where I don’t have to worry about anything. While our pieces don’t necessarily address the exact same feeling, I still think they come from the same vein.

Sincerely,

Jonah Sobczak

-jonahso

jonahso

Last year, I began my first year of college as a film student. However, my artistic style is something I've been trying hone for my entire life. I think my focus lies mainly in honesty and understanding, both of others and myself. My tones can range wildly, but no matter what it is I like to add at least a taste of humor whenever I can.