Shopping on Campus

It literally just blows my mind how much money we spend as students here in college!!
For those of us who live off campus, we have to account for monthly rent, groceries, and commuting to class!! Or, if we have a pet, we need to coordinate our time to them too!
Or even with those of us who do live in one of the dorms, we still spend on snacks, occasionally/always going out to eat when the dining halls don’t suit our tastes, and even clothes!!
Speaking of clothes, I am going to do a shameless plug for the Facebook page I just made!! Its name is “Wolverine Women’s Free and For Sale.” Long story short, I had difficulties with another similar Facebook Page to this, so I created my own!! Unfortunately it is only for ladies, so guys, if you’re interested in a similar page you can create one yourself and invite people to join you!! 🙂
So, I started off college not knowing this page was a thing. I discovered this page around sophomore year. It is called “Ladies of UofM Buy, Sell, and Trade.” What I loved about this page was that it welcomed everyone to sell things, and the things that people posted were usually lightly worn, as in they’re still in good enough condition to be re-worn and purchased by someone else. However, what I did not like was the atmosphere of the page- or at least the atmosphere that the admins created.
In the beginning of my time on this group/page, I loved it! I was able to get the things I wanted for free or for a way cheaper price than at the mall. However, as time progressed, sometimes I had to cancel transactions because I needed to save money for my architecture class supplies,or it was just too inconvenient to keep attempting to meet with the seller(s). The page rules, which is highly patrolled by the unforgiving admin, said “no flaking.” To me, and several other women I have talked to, “flaking” means to cancel a transaction without notifying the seller, or simply not showing up to purchase. My situation is technically not flaking because each time, I very politely told the seller whether or not I was available to purchase! Unfortunately, the admin did not understand my point and banned me from the page, deeming to never un-ban the banned members.
However, I still had stuff to sell, since I was broke and in need of money in college! So, I decided to create a new, better version of that page. In this page, I wanted to punish only the rude and actually flakey people, while preserving a safe, relaxed selling/buying environment that wasn’t so choosy on what you can and cannot post about!
So, this page, unlike the other page, allows for students to post about housing offers, ticket offers, events, and pretty much anything school-appropriate!
I aim for this page to become more popular than the other page because it is much more flexible in the posts’ contents, nobody has to feel bad for trying to save money by cancelling transactions, and whoever was also removed from that page in the past can now re-join this community!
Sorry if this post was more of a rant, but for anyone who is about to join the Ladies of UofM BST page, you can choose to still join that group with caution! I just wanted to share my terrible experience, which I hope nobody ever encounters, and promote my new page!

The link to this page is here:

NOTE: You must be in the Michigan Facebook group, in order to find and request to join!!

Happy shopping and thanks for reading all of this! 🙂

Published by

Freshman University of Michigan Taubman School of Architecture and Urban Planning