Preview: Still Black? I Think So

It’s MLK week 2010 and a time to celebrate empowerment and equality. What Martin Luther King Jr. said in his speeches and sermons was powerful and inspiring, but not only for racial equality. His ideas and dreams were about equality for all, including those of the LGBT community. That’s why I’m choosing to attend this event in honor of MLK, though I will be going to other events this month to honor what he’s done for us too.

“Still Black: A Portrait of Black Transmen” is a documentary of six black transgender men around the US. The movie goes deep into each person’s life and explores their identities as minorities in race, sexuality, and gender. Directed by Kortney Ryan Ziegler, the movie is a groundbreaking look into the equality that MLK dreamed of and how that dream has materialized in today’s America.

What: Still Black: A Portrait of Black Transmen
When: Wenesday, January 20, 2010 6:00pm
Where: School of Social Work’s Educational Conference Center (ECC), 1st floor, Room 1840 School of Social Work Building (SSWB).
Bonuses: Free! And a Facilitated discussion after the movie.
Happy MLK everyone!
Danny Fob: Artist and Art Reviewer

Danny Fob

I'm a Junior in LSA majoring in Italian and minoring in Art History. I love writing for art[seen] because it gives me the opportunity to show all of these amazing shows that the University brings to Ann Arbor. We get some world class performers and I would be really bummed if I missed out on anything that I'll never have to opportunity to see again. What you need to know about me? I'm not a writer, an art expert, and I didn't grow up around this much culture. I am a busy student at UofM, so if you are judging me for something, it's okay because I won't have time to respond. I'll just keep seeing shows and you can be jealous!