REVIEW: The Creative Process

“Can I take a picture of your room?” was the underlying question, but of course I worded it differently when asking Markley residents to open their doors to my camera and I.

“My name is Christine. I live down the hall and I’m working on a final project for my Creative Process class. The goal of the project is to illustrate how a symmetrical space is unique. If you are comfortable with it, can I take four photographs that differentiate your room from the other dorms?”

To my surprise, the residents invited me in without hesitation. Their only concern was the room’s untidy state of disarray. After many apologies for the mess, I reassured the residents that the goal wasn’t to embarrass them but to capture close-ups of personal belongings contained within the Quad.

“I know it’s a strange request letting a stranger take snapshots of your living space,” I said.

“No worries. What class did you say this was for again?” they asked politely.

“The Creative Process. It’s a UARTS class.

Amazingly, no one had heard of it but many seemed genuinely interested.

So was I, back in December while backpacking courses for the winter term. I stumbled upon a well-designed flyer with a description of the class. Being an LSA student who’s interested in the arts, the course and I seemed like a perfect match.

The Creative Process is the first interdisciplinary arts course offered in a new category of University courses. The four-credit course is broken into two-week segments, each taught by a different University faculty member. The course represents students and professors from across campus: Stephen Rush, our eccentric main instructor from the School of Music, laid-back Michael Gould who’s also from the School of Music, down to earth Elona Dent from the School of Art and Design, fun-loving Herbert Winful from the College of Engineering, the pensive Gregory Saldana from the Taubman College of Architecture + Urban Planning, and the lovely Amy Chavasse from the School of Theatre & Dance.

Each Professor taught a two-week workshop where he or she shared their personal experience and expertise. Students were asked to integrate the skills learned from studio time into their mini project, which was assigned at the beginning of each segment. Free standing structures made from printing paper, Lego robots, wire sea creatures, and lyrical compositions warmed students up for the final project and critique, which will be held on Monday, April 18th. Until then, Creative Process (CP) students eagerly wait to unveil their artistic creations.

One would imagine the CP professors are equally excited to see the much-anticipated final projects for the first time. After all, the CP staff is more family then faculty. Halfway through the semester, Professor Rush encouraged students “not to worry” (a foreign and unsatisfying concept at The University) about the illusive final project. It’s often said that the best ideas come unexpectedly and patience is key, especially with ambiguous prompts such as “fur, soap stone, and distillation.”

Each student pulled a prompt at random. Stephen Rush describes the prompts as a sort of “genesis” for the final projects.  Ranging in straightforwardness- like symmetrical- to outermost vagueness- like water water every where- the prompts produced a great deal of anxiety and frustration. To ease the edge, students were encouraged to collaborate with one another. “The weirder the better,” Rush laughed infectiously.

The final projects have no limits, other than the artist’s imagination. Students were given the liberty to create something unexpected and unheard of, which was refreshing yet aggravating after years of conditioning to adhere to criteria and objective standards.  The Creative Process helped students to unlearn conventional approaches of thinking. Without any guidelines, Monday’s show will come as a complete shock. “It’s all apart of the creative process,” professor Rush said. Listening to this reply for a “Type A” student like myself poses great difficulty. After much procrastination and self-persuasion not “to worry,” I drafted an idea that enabled me to truly invest myself. “DO NOT BE SHY!  FEAR IS THE ENEMY OF RISK AND CREATIVITY!!!” Rush optimistically worded in a recent email.

Rush is right. What did I have to fear? Looking back on our Monday lectures, I realized I have all the right tools to move forward. I was capable of freethinking and cultivated ingenuity. I regret not taking the opportunity to meditate after 5PM lecture with guru Rush. Perhaps I could have found the same peace of mind I have now. Rush admitted that it’s impossible not to think, but challenged us to try. The past two weeks have been a flurry of studying, writing essays, and perfecting final projects. Maybe I spent too much time on my final project because I’m definitely behind in studying for other subjects, like Art History, but what have those classes taught me? Nothing that compares to the lessons The Creative Process instilled. From the people and professors I’ve met, to the work I’ve produced, I’ve become attached to the class that promotes the fundamental principle of creation: creativity.

Hopefully spectators of Monday’s show will see that it isn’t the final outcome but the steps taken to get there. Creativity plays an essential role in our lives and the way art acts as a dialog in our community. Keeping a routine journal ensured student’s documented their progress throughout the learning experience, but Monday’s exhibition will communicate a comprehensive overview of the larger learning process. Each project will have a back-story. No one simply arrived at his or her final project. It took time, thought, lack of thought, and patience. Students can’t be forced into enjoying their studies. What you put into your work is what you take from it and looking at my project, and I’ve gotten more than I ever imagined.

*The Creative Process Gallery show will open to the public from 5-7PM on April 25th.