REVIEW: Put on your dancing shoes and Mardi Gras beads

Friday night, my friend Emma and I hurried over to the Union to have our Arts and Eats pizza before an evening of New Orleans jazz. We were greeted with white flags and Mardi Gras beads. The Detroit Party Marching Band was going to perform before the Night in Treme, and it was tradition in New Orleans to wave white flags and wear beads while following the band. So, after eating, we stood out in the forty degree weather listening to the band play. The players were just as cold as us, but full of life and glitter. They played brilliantly, and we all clapped to the beat, waved our white handkerchiefs, and cheered along.

After the outside performance, we went into Hill Auditorium for the main event. Unable to feel my toes and sick of walking all day, I was so excited to just sit there and enjoy the concert. The Rebirth Band had other plans. Right from the beginning, we were commanded to stand and clap along. To be honest, even if you’d wanted to have sat down, the rhythm would have sprung you from your seat. The lively beats and amazingly talented performers made for an entertaining and lively performance. I’ve never been to New Orleans, but I felt like I had been there Friday night. The band members said they play “happy music,” and I think they were pleased to see, and hear from our vigorous applause, that not a single member of the audience was disappointed.

The funniest moment of the evening for me was when the concert was coming to a close, and one of the performers invited people to come and dance on stage while the band performed its final number, admitting that he “didn’t know the rules of the building.” That didn’t stop the audience, however, as many members of the audience heaved their behinds onto the stage. Stomping, clapping, and some swing dancing, the entire stage was a buzzing hive of activity. I don’t remember if I liked the final song or even how it went because I was absolutely hypnotized by all the new activity on stage. Slowly, men dressed in formal suits stepped from the shadows of backstage to guard the performers from their newly acquired fans. A few students got too close at one point and had to be ushered further away from the performers. It was completely hilariously, and, to be honest, sort of weird to see in such a formal setting as Hill.

That brings me to a critique I wanted to remember to mention after experiencing this event: the venue. I felt that the sound was so large and the energy was all encompassing; however, sitting in the balcony, I was so detached from what was happening that clapping and standing felt superficial – almost like clapping along while watching TV. I think a more intimate setting would have vastly improved my experience in the audience; but, of course, Hill’s acoustics can’t be beat, so there really wasn’t anything to complain about, sound wise. And the auditorium was positively packed, so I’m not sure if going into a smaller theater really would have been feasible anyway. Regardless of the logistics, my initial response after leaving the auditorium was that it would have been better in a smaller arena.

Overall, it was an absolutely outstanding, upbeat, inspiring jazz performance by incredibly talented musicians. I’m so glad I went, even if I was more tired from dancing than relaxed from listening after this musical experience.