REVIEW: Calvin Forbes

Last night, I walked into the beautiful Museum of Art here, or as I like to call it the UMMA (pronounced OOO-MAHH). I didn’t know much about Mr. Forbes, other than that he was a poet, a good one at that, and a professor. I also knew he liked jazz because I had to look that up for my preview, but that was about it.

Calvin Forbes was probably the funniest and most chill poet I’ve ever met. He oozed jazz – not like the music, but the rhythm of jazz. Even when he wasn’t reading one of his poems and just telling us about his life, he spoke with a lyrical style that came so naturally to him, it was really fantastic to listen to.

His poem topics range mostly from his experiences through childhood, the love he felt for his mother, and the nostalgia he expresses on how times have changed. Growing up in New York, for example, he remembers using the Twin Towers as a landmark that could always help him find his way back to his neighborhood. He walks the streets of NYC with his head down now because the absence of those buildings is too emotional for him. The death of his parents was a similar experience he writes about it, and the love he felt for them is expressed in all of his poems.

It’s funny because when Mr. Forbes first got going, I thought he was a really peaceful kind of man. He seemed to really be at one with himself, know where he’s going, and where he’s been. I do believe that remains true; however, I’ve come to the conclusion that there is a deep sadness in Mr. Forbes. He recalls the past with great longing and beautiful memories, and I think he sincerely misses his childhood. His sadness is nothing but expected, as I’m sure he’s been through far more than I have in my 19 years.

All and all, a great poetry reading. The room we were in was the auditorium in the museum, and the sound was so good and the lighting was extremely relaxing. It was a really inspiring night for me, as a writer and a poetry enthusiast. It was my pleasure to hear Calvin Forbes read, and I’d be sure to go to one of his readings again if I had the chance.