REVIEW: PULP FICTION

Pulp Fiction, arguably one of the most graphic American films made, has made an impression on me. Of course, I am still deciding whether this is a good or bad impression. Personally never having seen this film before, it certainly took me off guard. I went in with no idea of the premise, and even halfway through the movie I still was lost as to the plot line. However, I came out of the theatre, 2 and a half hours later, knowing that it was a movie you could never forget.

I have never been one for violence for the sake of violence or cursing without due purpose, but I also understand the use of such when aimed to make a point. In Quentin Tarantino’s Pulp Fiction, I certainly was aware that such intense visuals and particular vocabulary got a reaction out of the audience. And at least on some level, I do believe that that may have been Tarantino’s goal: to make in impact. Much of the dialogue was intriguingly unique, the plot line was fairly original (though arguably without direction), and a lot of the characters had been pushed to such extremes that the film could truly be called ‘one of a kind’. However, I am not sure if this originality was the entire purpose of the movie.

Many a Pulp Fiction fan argue that the film holds some deep significance. I am not sure if I can fully do this viewpoint justice considering I myself did not notice such philosophical underpinnings, but I can try my best to explain what people have told me. First off, there is an obvious cyclicality to the storyline wherein the end brings the characters back to where they began in order to make it seem coincidental that everyone just happened to interact with each other throughout the movie. The start and finish both take place in the diner, with the same event, only the second time you view it you feel enlightened as to the situation. Also, Jules Winnfield, contract killer and leading character, ends the movie repeating the same lines he uttered in the beginning-a fake quote from scripture, questioning who is the shepherd in this world of evil. Jules ends the movie feeling reborn, having decided to end his life of crime, giving the movie a feeling of redemption after all its inexplicable violence. Additionally, Butch, the only character I found myself rooting for, is able to make peace with Marsellus. In this way, Pulp Fiction gives the audience a resolute sense of completeness in each character’s storyline.

However, I cannot account for the indescribable amount of stress I experienced while watching this movie. In every scene I felt as if I was waiting for someone to rip my heart out, and with every additional conflict or death I could feel my body tense up. I am unsure why I had such a reaction to this movie, but I imagine that the suspense combined with the satisfactory ending may be what makes a Pulp Fiction fan. Personally, I do not intend on seeing this movie again, simply for personal preference. However, next time someone orders a Royale with Cheese I will understand why the person next to me is laughing.

PF2

One thought to “REVIEW: PULP FICTION”