REVIEW: The Nutcracker

Has anyone managed to think of Christmas without thinking of the Nutcracker? Because I know I certainly have not. I grew up hearing the music of Tchaikovsky, knowing the story of the little girl whose gift came to life, and romanticizing about the dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy. The whole performance is something out of a dream, and it seems to bring out the child in everyone, longing for a christmas of miracles.

This performance of the Nutcracker by the Ann Arbor Ballet Theatre was phenomenal. I was unsure of the age range of the ensemble, or of the size of the cast, but was amazed when I realized how many people came together to put on this performance and the variety in the age range. There were children no older than 3 or 4 as well as adults in the company. This made the performance really beautiful in getting to see dancers who are just growing up in a community of performing arts as well as those who can appreciate it later in life. Also, knowing that the whole thing had to be perfectly orchestrated in order to smoothly transition between scenes (given the large amount of people involved and the fantastical props used), I have to say it was a remarkable feat to pull off this show. The stage production must be one of the defining features of the Nutcracker. The costumes glitter, the props are nothing less than extravagant, and the snow at the end of the first act bedazzled the audience. The lavish sets are truly what brought the audience into this dream world.

Of course, the set would be nothing without the cast. Clara and her Nutcracker had great precision in their movements as well as flow in the outline of their dances. They were both high school students, and for that I applaud them greatly. Many of the other performers, such as the Mouse Queen, also executed their roles pristinely. One of my favorite parts of watching a performance is forgetting I am sitting in the audience, and there were definitely times in this performance when I believed I was part of Clara’s dream. Now that I know this performance is put on every year by the same theatre, I am tempted to make it tradition to go back every year I am here. It was the perfect way to ring in the holiday season, get a bit of culture, and enjoy the great music of Tchaikovsky. No matter which form of the performing arts you prefer, there is definitely something for everyone in this production.

Nutcracker-Ballet-Olympia