REVIEW: LABYRINTH MEMORIAL SCREENING

Due to the fact that I’d never seen the movie before, and only had my friends’ opinions to rely on, I didn’t know what to expect from the Labyrinth movie.  I did, however, know how popular it would be.  The line for popcorn curled around the theater doors and looped back around.  I imagine if I hadn’t ordered tickets online, I wouldn’t have been able to go.

Michigan Theater

The first thing that struck me about the experience was the theater itself.  Last night was the first time I’d been to the Michigan Theater.  It reminded me of a slightly more elaborate Hill Auditorium (which, if you’ve ever been there, is saying something).

Once I had (finally) bought my popcorn and we were sitting in our seats, the movie began.  The entire audience clapped when David Bowie’s name showed up on the screen.  (There was considerably less enthusiastic clapping for Jennifer Connelly…)  There was even more thunderous applause at Bowie’s first fabulous entrance as The Goblin King.

Waiting for the movie to begin…

If you will, picture David Bowie’s face.  Now, pencil his eyebrows on nearly vertical angles in stark black.  Next, paint on his winged eyeliner and add a ridiculously broom-like wig atop his head.  Finally, slip him into ungodly-tight goblin leggings and sprinkle some glitter around for good measure, and you’ve got Jareth, king of all goblins.

The movie in itself wasn’t that great.  The acting was sub par (at best) on Connelly’s behalf, although some of her lines won bursts of laughter that I’m sure were unintentional by Henson.  Take, for instance, when Sarah is about to enter the labyrinth.  She gathers herself up, takes a deep breath, and says: “C’mon, feet!”  I don’t really remember the next five minutes of the film because I was laughing so hard.

My favorite character was Sarah’s beast-like friend named Ludo.  He was adorable and a little daft.  He taught me something I imagine I’ll find quite valuable in life: if you scream loudly enough, everything will be fine.

All in all, I’m very happy to have gone to the movie.  It was a really fun time, especially because I attended with some people who’ve seen it before.  That way, if I missed anything from laughing too hard, they could fill me in.

It was also an awesome way to say goodbye to David Bowie on a light note.  The audience loved him, and I found myself humming his “Dance Magic Dance” song on the walk back to my dorm.

kebishop

I am a senior majoring in International Studies with a concentration in Comparative Culture and Identity and a minor in Sociocultural Anthropology. I'm an avid coffee and bonfire enthusiast with an interest in the arts.