REVIEW: The Campus Symphony Orchestra

The Campus Symphony Orchestra preformed Monday night at Hill Auditorium. The grand venue amplified an outstanding performance, one that showcased the hard work of University students, faculty, and their instruments. Musicians practiced throughout the semester for the one night concert as student conductor Eiki Isomura harmoniously orchestrated the chamber of violins, viola, violoncello, double bass, flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, horn, trumpet, trombone, tuba, and percussion. Isomura is the participant of the Helen Wu Graduate Conducting fellowship, which offers one University student the chance to conduct a full orchestra of musicians. The fellowship advocates for real life experience as a paramount part of training a professional conductor. The Campus Symphony Orchestra also provides non-music major students, like freshman violinist Adriana Saroki, the opportunity to pursue new talents on campus without sacrificing their love of classical music while receiving credit.

“Joining The Campus Symphony Orchestra exposed me to a diverse group of people who are equally passionate about classical music.” -Adriana Saroki

With Hill’s self-proclaimed “perfect acoustics,” the music swept listeners away on lofty notes. I felt my self drifting into a dream as the music dipped from a soft melody into a powerful crescendo. Isomura waved his arm and the entire orchestra stirred to create a sea of movement and music on stage. My senses were awakened and my life turned into a movie. It reminded me of the timeless ballroom scene from My Fair Lady; I was Eliza, a helpless flower girl, who was overwhelmed by the blending of art, culture, and music.

The evening was broken into three songs Richard Strauss’s “Serenade for Wind Instruments in E-flat Major, Op.7,” George Gershwhin’s “Cuban Overture,” and Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky’s “Symphony No. 5 in E Minor, Op. 64.” Gerswhin’s Cuban Overture added a flavorful twist on classical music. The audience swayed to the rhythm, ready to jump into dance: perhaps even salsa. The crowd was equally entranced by Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No. 5. Musicians played for an impressive twenty minutes straight, their arms fastidiously moving and eyes glued to their sheet music. The crowd was on the edge of their seats as the musicians endured.
“I couldn’t imagine how their arms weren’t about to fall off!” said one spectator.
“My heart went out to them,” said another.
Nevertheless, the musicians stayed focused. I scoped the stage for signs of weakness, yet no one was phased. The music continued as their hands automatically knew what to do. This skill and dedication produced a performance that was nothing less than magical. It was a successful night, one that expanded the love and support of classical music in everyone.