REVIEW: Women’s Glee Club Spring Concert

Compared to the noise and excitement in the diag yesterday (the first Saturday of April, if that means anything to you), the calm atmosphere set by the Women’s Glee Club’s second song was a welcome change. After opening with “The University”, per tradition, the women sang a composition by Gustav Holst of “Ave Maria” that quickly reminded all in attendance that we were no longer walking about on a sunny Saturday afternoon, we were sitting in a nearly acoustically perfect space listening to talented women sing meaningful music.

One thing that I very much appreciate about the Women’s Glee Club is that they are not trying to be the Men’s Glee Club. The men’s organization is older with a wider alumni base and a bigger reputation that precedes them, and this allows them to fill Hill Auditorium more easily. The women do not have that advantage, and I think that this encourages them to take risks that are to their benefit. They are willing to change up the formations they stand in, to use all parts of the stage, and really add life in the performance of their songs to a degree that is not always matched by the more solemn men (I’m referring especially to the songs “El Vito” and “Usilethela Uxolo (South Africa)”, which both incorporated movements around the stage that enhanced the songs). Neither is the correct way to hold a concert and both are fantastic groups, but I do wish to stress that what works for one is not always best for the other.

My favorite song from the afternoon was “Two Strings, But One Voice (O Sweetest of Songs)”. The voices of the Women’s Glee Club soared in this arrangement, and it filled the auditorium effortlessly. I got so many chills during this song, it was insane. If you’re interested, it sounded like this (that’s not the Women’s Glee Club, obviously, but they’re still pretty good).

I’m so glad I attended the Women’s Glee Club Spring Concert. I really don’t think I’m biased in any way when I say that these ladies deserve much more love and attention from the university. The more of their concerts I attend, the more I realize how lucky I was to be a part of them for a couple semesters because they are an impressive group. This concert was enjoyable from beginning to end, and I look forward to seeing their a capella octet, Midnight Blue, perform on Friday.