Untitled

Just the other day I was thinking about a study abroad experience in the Emerald Isle itself, Ireland. As I manuevered through the study abroad company’s website- I came across a syllabus for Ireland’s Gothic Celtic fairy tales. And I too was curious about why many of Ireland’s old legends were the way they were.

So when I saw that at the Michigan Theater, the newly Academy -Award nominated Irish animation Song of the Sea was playing- I had to see it!

At the heart of the movie lies family. A little boy whose 6 year old sister Saoirse is a half mythical figure known as a Selkie cannot talk. Their mother, a full-blooded Selkie, has to return to the ocean the night Saoirsce was born. And over the years Saoirse has not been able to talk. One day she finds her mother’s furry white cloak and puts it on, it enables her to become a seal ( Selkies care seals in the water), as she makes her way to the bottom of the ocean. Later she comes up shore, shivering and semiconscious. Her father, fearing that he may lose his daughter as he did his wife- drops off his wife’s furry coat in a chest into the ocean. Later, their grandmother has the children moved to the city- so that Saoirse doesn’t follow her mother’s footsteps. But the children, especially Ben, realizes that they need to get back to their home in the lighthouse by the sea–especially as he notices her health deteriorate. He especially senses that the sea, holds some of the answers.

The story is no doubt, amazing, touching, and captivating at the same time. But what probably attracts me most to this film is the particular beautiful type of animation of this movie- and especially the animation of animals in this movie. The giant blue whale looked breathtaking-so lifelike yet having that unique, look, and warmth which only animation give. The badgers which live in the meadow which Saoirse and Ben pass through, look so ehereal, adorable, yet lifelike. The owls are shown to have a great mix of being vivacity and cunning- especially as the henchmen to the Owl Witch Macha. The seals will leave you fainting from cute overload. But probably the best animated animal representation is the sheepdog Cu ( Gaelic for dog). He is the cutest, liveliest, loyalest, slurping ball of fur to the silver screen in a long time.If not knowing more about Irish folklore wasn’t enough to see this movie, as well as to hear the actors, then Cu is the reason to see this movie!

Some other fun facts which might appeal to U of Mers is that the cult BBC and HULU hit Moone Boy ( I am a fan!!) lends one of their main actors as the voice of Ben. So if you are a David Rawle fan- you will love hearing Ben’s voice as well as his facial similarities with David! Famed actor Brendan Gleeson lends his voice to Conor- the children’s father.

And the soundtrack of this movie is so haunting, ethereal, and captivating. To me it is reminiscent of the essence of the song, Scarborough Fair. This is a movie which needs to be seen, heard, and felt.

LitaPitasMusings

I love big dogs, movies from the 1930s-1960s, I am a "girly -girl-feminist" and I love fast food.