Preview: Hamlet

One of Shakespeare’s most famous plays, Hamlet has just become even more so. The appearance of celebrated actor Benedict Cumberbatch in the play’s title role has brought Hamlet into the pop-culture limelight. Hamlet is a widely varying character; he can be portrayed as a prince who wants to be king, a boy in love, a vacillating and indecisive person, or anywhere in between. Cumberbatch, on the other hand, has portrayed villains, dragons, and mathematical geniuses—who knows what interpretation he will give Hamlet? That being said, Hamlet isn’t only ambiguous about Hamlet’s personality: any of the characters can be portrayed in multiple ways, and since this performance is by London’s National Theatre, we’re practically guaranteed a nuanced, thought-provoking interpretation of the play. I expect it to be an entirely worthwhile experience.

The play will be broadcasted on Sunday, November 15, at 7pm in the Michigan Theater. Tickets can be bought at the League ticket office or through the UMS website.

Neha Srinivasan

I'm a landscape architecture master's student who's doing her best not to loathe her design software. When I'm not designing (what a broad word), I'm probably reading, listening to music, dancing Brazilian Zouk, or talking to my houseplants.