Spotlight Movie Review

Synopsis ( spoiler alert!) : This story is about the Investigative journalism unit within the Newspaper, “The Boston Globe.” In fact, “Spotlight” is the longest running investigative unit of a newspaper in the US. In the beginning of the movie, Martin “Marty” Baron ( played by Liev Schreiber) is the new editor for the “Boston Globe.” He reads an article about Lawyer Mitchell Garabedian who found out that Cardinal Bernard Law knew about a Priest abusing children and did NOT take any action to stop him. Spotlight sends Rezendes ( played by Mark Ruffalo) to go talk with Garabedian. Garabedian, a very solitary, singular-minded, workaholic lawyer ( played by Stanley Tucci) initially does not want to disclose any details with Rezendes. But later changes his mind, once Rezendes reveals that he is with Spotlight.
At first the Spotlight team think that they are searching for just one priest. Then they meet with Phil Saviano who heads the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, who informs them that there are 13 priests who are abused. Then through Richard Sipe ( a man who helped rehabilitate priests who had abused) they learn that there are 90 priests.
The journalists all do extensive research and meet up with actual victims. Rachel McAdams’ character Sacha Pfeiffer meets with a victim who was nervous and ate nervously. The two connect on that, and the victim reveals to her that he is homosexual. She tries to connect with her victims- some who shut the door in her face. One is a priest who actually admittedly admits that he molested children, but denies that he raped them. When she asks him, how he knows that is not rape, “He says I would know because I was raped.” Before he can talk further a woman ( perhaps his sister) tells him to stop talking and shuts the door in Rachel McAdams’ face.
As the movie proceeds one of the journalists worries about other newspapers beating them to the story- which could hurt other victims in the process. It is also revealed the Cardinal Law knew about the abuse, but tried to do a cover-up. The story also gets a bit pushed to the back burner thanks to 9/11. But, eventually… well the rest is history.

The power of the newspaper:
I loved that this movie showed people the power of investigative journalism- it is not something you usually see in this day and age. When I came as a freshman, I wanted to major in journalism. I was told by an academic adviser, “ That is a major that is not offered here. But, it is also technically not a major” Housemates later said that they don’t believe what is in the news about the war in Afghanistan, and that you cannot trust the media. They said, that one of their cousins is actually in Afghanistan ( I am not sure whether as a member of the armed forces or as a member of the NGO) and that they get the news from him. This is the tip of the iceberg when it comes to hearing from my peers about the lack of their belief and faith in the credibility of newspaper industry- and journalism as a whole.

If you compound that with how in the Great Recession many newspapers like the Detroit Free Press or the Time Picayune have died or reduced their circulation ( thanks to their advertisers pulling out) as well as many citing newspapers’ method of circulation being slow compared with online news then it is easy to say that newspapers/journalism do not share the best reputation in the 21st century.

So as someone who loves journalism and newspapers it was very pleasing to see classic print journalism at its best- from all aspects. It was great to see Sacha and Rezendes on their feet as reporters as they interview victims; and it was equally great to see how employees from the Boston Globe’s library wheeling up books and materials in carts to the journalists. Getting research is a fact-finding process involving books, and materials to be brought up from the bowels of buildings- it is not a superficial line of work. It requires depth and legwork, that’s what resonates with audiences when they see the books being wheeled- they are symbol of the depth of investigative journalism.

The filmmakers could have easily taken out the boring scenes of books being wheeled around. But this is purposeful. The wheeling of the books are a symbol which show the machine of journalism. And as a fan of print journalism, I am a fan.

A boys club based on ethnicity: Now, I have only to been to Boston once and briefly- on a layover flight when I was 8 years old. In other words, I don’t know much. Yea, I have heard my Dad and others say that they liked Boston. But, truth be told I don’t know much about it.
But perhaps once, I heard that Boston is not like a real city like New York or Chicago- but more of a big town. Well, if this movie has taught me anything, Boston is a town indeed; and this town is run by a good ol’ boys club; and this boys’ club is comprised of those who are Irish Catholic. Not WASPS, not Jews, not Armenians, but Catholics who run this city.
I was shocked when I heard men at the golf course discuss the new editor’s Jewishness so openly and negatively question how he would belong as a Jew in Boston. Later when Baron met with the Cardinal, he gave Baron a gift ( knowing of Baron’s religious background) calling it the true guide to understanding Boston. It was a Catechism .
When Garabedian and Rezendes sup together, Garabedian says to Rezendes that he is an outsider (being Armenian) who does not belong here. Then he says that in order to show to the wrongs in this city, it needs outsiders like them to do so.

I was going to fall off my chair hearing all these ethnic assertions. Could this really be? Personally speaking, I cannot fully believe these statements. I cannot believe that things are that rigid. You hear about glass ceilings but, ethnic ceilings in modern times (versus say the 1920s) is news to me. But then again, I did not live through such happenings..

Parting Thoughts:
This film included a great Ensemble cast with actors who portrayed reporters as diligent, passionate, and humble (with Rezendes’ character being a bit sarcastic) and other actors like Garabedian as irreverent but good-hearted; it had appropriate and somber art direction and lighting that for instance, showed the Cardinal’s church as this dark cave and the city of Boston always under the shadow of some gloomy clouds. For a movie which was not about war, or famines, it showed suspense and intrigue thanks to a great musical score, and cinematography-Rezendes running to the court house is such a scene. In these and in many other ways, it truly is filmmaking at its best.

LitaPitasMusings

I love big dogs, movies from the 1930s-1960s, I am a "girly -girl-feminist" and I love fast food.