PREVIEW: ‘Fiddler on the Roof’ In Concert

I might be considered biased in my excitement for ‘Fiddler on the Roof’ In Concert. I was involved in a production of Fiddler in high school, and I fell in love with the music. The more I looked into this performance, the more I felt that I absolutely had to see it.

The performance will be held at historic Hill Auditorium on February 19th and 20th at 8:00 p.m.  and 4:00 p.m., respectively (I personally will be attending the performance on the evening of the 19th). UMS describes the performance as a “lightly staged concert” version of the classic musical.

The Philadelphia Orchestra will be performing the first live concert of the score, accompanied by broadway singers and some students from the musical theater program here at U of M. If you aren’t excited yet, you should be.

If the pure talent and skill of a professional orchestra accompanied by Broadway Singers wasn’t enough to draw you in, there will be multiple activities leading up to the performance, which would provide an extremely immersive experience should you choose to partake. First, an ongoing exhibit in Weiser Hall (Gallery Space, 5th Floor) is displaying the art from past Fiddler performances over the past forty years. The exhibit will be open until March 18th. Second, there is an online roundtable on Wednesday, February 16th at 12:00 titled “From There to Here: The Yiddish Origins and The Cultural Travels of Fiddler on the Roof.” For more information, se the UMS webpage for the event here: From There to Here – UMS. Third, this event comes with the return of a UMS tradition of prelude dinners. This dinner will begin at 5:00 p.m. before the performance on the 19th, and costs $75 per person (a bit steep, but definitely worth mentioning).

Needless to say, there are lots of exciting things happening around this performance. I’m sure the Philadelphia Orchestra will not disappoint. If you are looking for an exciting, immersive experience to get you out of the house this weekend, consider making plans to see this performance.

Student tickets range from $12 to $20, and non-student tickets range from $17 to $86 (including UMS fees).

Max Freeland

Max Freeland is a sophomore in the college of LS&A studying linguistics and psychology. Feel free to argue with him about his writing.