Modern Museums: Experiment

Marrying ideas of statistical analysis and museum studies, I would like to propose an experiment.  I hope to work in museum education in my future, so to get the ball rolling I will start hypothesizing now.

The present museum’s status quo of label design is an easily visible label tattooed next to the artifact.  The label usually contains roughly 300 words and articulates a particular message about the piece.  It will tell you when the artifact was made, the artist, its significance, and an interpretation of the work.  This is a pretty standard label.

What I would like to question is what if that label was removed all together?  What would happen to the exhibit?  What would be lost and/or gained?

Coming from an educational standpoint I am interested in testing the status quo in order to find new possibilities and perspectives.  On average, people spend 30 seconds or less reading a wall label.  This is not a lot of time to retain information.  I see the educational benefits for wall labels and I am not saying we should omit them from museums, but I would like to test the effects of a wall less exhibit.  What could be learned from them?

Not having conducted this test, I will make up a set of hypothesized results.  I think people will gain a sense of independence and agency while walking through the exhibit.  They will interpret, imagine, and wonder instead of being instructed.  The experience will be like entering a fantasy world.  Furthermore, individual interpretations could and very well would lead to varying perspectives, offering different vantage points and new categories for meaning.  The artifacts would enter a new realm of thought.  The possibilities are endless because the amount of traffic is such.

The modern museum has taken on the role of education and entertainment.  An exhibit surrounded by freedom of thought and interpretation would facilitate wonder and self-expressionism.  Isn’t that what art’s all about?

Have a good weekend!

Sara majors in Art History and enjoys long walks.

Sara Olds

University of Michigan Student interested in mobilizing the arts in the community