Tattoos: the art Ink.

I’m quite surprised the topic of tattoos has not yet been brought up in Arts Ink. Seems ironic, no?  Well, I shall be the first to introduce you to the world of tattoos through what I call the ‘Mom’ Tat.  I think tattoos can be both the greatest and worst forms of artistic expression.  They often carry a story, maybe tribute a loved one or say something sacred to the person who wears the tattoo.  Whatever the reason for getting a tattoo, I enjoy looking at other’s tattoos and trying to understand why they got it.

Most recently one of my friends got a ‘Mom’ tat on her ribs.  It has Mom written in a heart about 3 inches wide and 2 inches long.  This is not her first tattoo, but I remember when she told me what she got I thought she might be joking.  When I realized she was not, I took her seriously and found the beauty in what she had done.  I remember saying, “Wow, your Mom must feel so special that you did that!”  Not saying that getting a Mom tattoo is THE way of telling your Mom you love and appreciate her, but it is one heck of a good one!

To get a tattoo in the first place is a big step.  I have always wanted to get one, but I don’t know what I would get, so I am ink free to date.  To get a tattoo in recognition of a loved one I believe is a selfless act.  Marking your body with their name indicates how they have affected you and how they will indefinitely be with you.

I will remain tat free for a while, but I will continue to be intrigued by others’ tattoos decisions.  Long live the MOM TAT!

Peace,

Sara

Sara Olds

University of Michigan Student interested in mobilizing the arts in the community