Preview for The Big Short

We as a society often discuss the lingering effects of The Economic Downtown (a friend’s mother started calling it Ted) or the Global Recession of 2008. More specifically: That the middle class is now disappearing because of it; that regulation is now needed otherwise 2008 will be a repeat, that the housing industry is back, and yet that the recession is over but is the economy is not well. But do you know how it happened? Perhaps you have had a class where there was a discussion of mortgage backed-securities, ratings agencies, bank bailouts, but you yourself are still a bit fuzzy on what all these terms mean?

Well, truth be told, I took a class on an economic sociology class entitled “Economic Crisis” focusing a bit on the housing market, and on the 2008 recession. And as someone who is at times fascinated by economics and particularly the economics behind the Great Recession, I always seem to be watching something on it. For instance, I saw Capitalism, a Love Story when it came out in theaters, then on DVD again, and then I saw Inside Job, Queen of Versailles, and the Madoff Mini Series etc.

Well for those of us who would like a low-down on the economics behind the Great Meltdown, then this is the movie for you!!! This movie brings about famous guests (Spoiler: Selena Gomez and Margot Robbie) to explain economics of the mortgage crisis. But, it is a comedy and showcases different types of comedic acting and characters who not only understand economics but have interesting and at times head-shaking quirks. The narration and vibrant settings make this film even more appealing. But the most unique aspect of this film is that unlike the other films on the same subject matter- this one showcases the main characters as people who foreshadowed the recession and tried to warn others. How they figured this out and went about this, needs to be seen. Go see it.

LitaPitasMusings

I love big dogs, movies from the 1930s-1960s, I am a "girly -girl-feminist" and I love fast food.