A Wolverine Abroad – Modernity in the world of the Renaissance

I seem to always be posting these late, and for that I apologize. I have a really sweet artist this week though Teun Hocks is the name. Photoshop is the game. Yeah, that was cheesy, but that’s okay, right? Anyway, he does some really amazing things with digital photo editing. This is one of the artists that had a display at the art fair last week. I want to show just a few of his works so that you can see how creative he is.

What I like about the works is the way you can see how large a life he leads. The main figure goes about his normal day by doing things that are on a much grander scale than the rest of us. He catches music in a net instead of butterflies. He picks up after the stars fall. He farms time. He cries a literal waterfall. These things are extraordinary.

There would be a picture here, but his website won’t let me use it… so you can use this

What a grand life it must be to catch music the way others catch insects. The artist uses the medium so well to mix colors and enlarge the main figure. He even seems oversized for the landscape he is placed on. Another aspect that I like in Mr. Hocks’ work is his use of the road. His character is always traveling, always going someone. Even when he is looking at a picture, he looks through it and travels beyond it.

Same deal as above 🙂

His website http://www.teunhocks.nl/Teun_Hocks/TEUN_HOCKS.html

Many of his works depict his main character traveling, through space, time, landscapes, etc. Often the figure seems sad, he is completely alone. And when another figure is present, it is a reflection of himself. There is never another character. But the artist makes a point to tell us home goes with you wherever you are. No matter the burden it could bring, home is always with you.

The picture that really grabbed my attention is one that I can’t find online, of course. But it’s this figure crying on the edge of a canyon. His tears form a stream, which turn to a river and then cascade over the canyon  in one of the most beautiful and sad waterfalls I’ve ever seen. Teun Hocks has so many intriguing images and I’ve actually been flipping through his website for two hours now checking them all out. I love his style. It’s so centered on the models, but the landscape still takes up space in the viewer’s analysis, in our gaze.

It’s sort of strange that I’m in the middle of all of this old Italian art and I’m writing about modern stuff, but I figure I have plenty of time to find the old art. The new is here today and gone tomorrow!

Again, I’m sorry this is late. There is just so much life happening here! And I still don’t have a regular schedule. But I’m not complaining. I’m in Italy folks!

Ciao ciao!

Danny Fob

Your Wolverine Abroad Blogger