Community and V for Vendetta: My First Viewing

So I’ve had a busy few days, mostly because of my procrastination, but luckily I got everything done pretty early tonight.

Unluckily, I almost forgot about my blog post. I’ve had a topic in mind for the past few days, but I’ve been working on an English assignment due tomorrow, so I’ve been avoiding the actual writing part. So here I am, sitting in the South Lounge at Markley, writing my post at the last minute.

I was going to talk about fall and how pretty the trees are, and although that is my new favorite thing to talk about since this is my first “real” fall (Houston, where I’m from, really doesn’t have a fall), my friend suggested a new topic as I rushed to get my laptop.

I’m in the south lounge because I’m about to watch V for Vendetta with some girls from my hall. I know about this movie, I’ve seen the clip of a speech from it as well as analyzed it, but I’ve never actually gotten the chance to watch it, nor do I really know what it’s exactly about.

I’m honestly a bit ashamed to say this, since I claim to be such a movie buff (seriously, if you don’t remember an actor’s name, I’m the one to ask). But that also means I get a unique experience. Not knowing much about this movie, I’m going to see it with an open mind, and with my friends, something I probably wouldn’t get if I was watching it alone in my dorm.

However, that also means I don’t have much to say about it. So as the movie is about to start, I am talking with my friends, just enjoying the community we have here, and wondering what I’ll think after I see it. But I’m also thankful – I really love getting to know everyone, and I feel like this is the way movies are meant to be seen, with friends, in a community.

Hopefully I’ll enjoy it. I think I will, seeing as it’s considered such a classic. Only time will tell. So as this night comes to a close, I have only one more thing to say:

Remember, Remember the 5th of November.

Jeannie Marie

A Venn Diagram of hipster music, sappy romantic comedies, nerd culture, adorable puppies, film trivia, totally not rigged awards shows, random illustritive quotes with a dash of not-quite-there-yet charm.