Thanks.

You know when you want to thank someone, but you know that nothing that you can say can totally, wholly, and accurately represent the true appreciation and gratitude that you feel inside? It’s that darn dilemma that is similar to the feeling of love, where no matter what words come out, there are about a hundred more that you could pile on top…but you can’t because that would just be a little extreme.

Image via giphy.com

So what can you do?

I recently had an experience that was so much more meaningful to me than I had ever been expecting. As a runner-up for the Current Magazine’s 2015 Fiction and Poetry Contest, I was invited to read my poem live at the Arbor Brewing Company. I’ve done readings before, and as much as I love them, this one didn’t seem like it would be any different. I had been chosen as one out of 40 submissions to read, but on a Wednesday night? Who would come? My mom skipped a book club meeting to accompany me to the bar, and there I saw three of my friends, drenched in rain after the downpour, who had braved the weather and walked across campus to watch me read! They had cut a box out of their schedule that night, wrote in Sharpie “Go to Cammie’s reading,” they thought that this night was special enough to take an hour to not do homework, to not attend club meetings, to cheer for their friend, and that touched me more than they will ever know.

And then the surprise that hit me even more. When my bosses at University Towers (I’m the Community Assistant there) and co-worker walked through the door. I had told them I was performing that night, just making small talk during my shift. But they came, they clapped, they cheered, they celebrated the night with me. To think that they cared enough about me to support me in my achievements that they would spend two hours after a long day at work was unbelievably kind.

It was at that point that I realized that I had done something to be proud of. And for some silly reason, it took all of these wonderful people in my life to remind me to appreciate this success and congratulate myself.

The first thing I did to thank them was to write to each person individually and tell them, as graciously as I could, that I was honored to have them as a friend. Sometimes, to have a written down tangible historical note, rather than a simple vocally-transmitted message, really makes an impact. It’s always great to hear a compliment, but to receive a letter where someone took the time to sit down and think about all the ways that they love you is something that they will be able to hold on to for a very long time.

Image via blog.hiregy.com

So, that’s my advice if you’re looking for ways to show your appreciation for someone: write a thank you note (it doesn’t have to be for any particular occasion – just a “I’m thinking of you and you rock. Here’s why…” type of thing); support them back (if they have an event or show or award presentation, go cheer them on); find little ways of being kind to them (tell them good luck before their exam, ask them about their new house, send them a box of tissues and can of soup if they’re sick – the little things always add up).

Find little pockets of gratitude everywhere you can. You’ll find that you will be a much happier and satisfied person when you can appreciate even the things you don’t know how or who to thank.

Like seeing the first snow fall on red berries! Take a photo – capturing that moment is remembering the beauty, which in turn is a way of remembering to be grateful.

Photo credit: Cammie Finch

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone celebrating. Happy everything to everyone else and have something with cinnamon in it for me!

Write in the comments below: what’s something you’re thankful for?