What is Home?

home

Do you know the band “The Cinematic Orchestra”? They gained quite a bit of popularity within the past couple of years. Their music is featured in commercials and TV shows. One of their songs is very special to me. One single line from their song “To Build A Home” helped me to describe the feeling I always had while travelling around the world, but which I just could not put into words. Let me explain to you what that one line means to me and how it is important to describe myself to a certain extend:

“Home is a place where you don’t feel lost.” So why leave home? Why expose yourself to the lostness?

In my eyes, the lostness is somehow calming. It’s fulfilling. Whoever is lost is compelled to find himself again. I get the feeling that I need that sometimes. Similar to people who try to schematise their life through the idea of continuous shifting in prosperity and dolorousness, I have to lose and find myself.

To lie in bed at night, knowing that every person you know, you like, you love is thousands of miles away may seem like a nightmare to some but to me it’s a feeling I wouldn’t want to miss for the world. Sentimental music and the dim lights of a far away city on the dark horizon of the night add to that feeling. To have nobody, sometimes is more satisfying to me than to have somebody.

When I return home, my travels usually appear quite austere. They make me appreciate what I have at home. But one question will always remain: What would I miss more: Having a home or having no home?

PS: Remember to be the weirdest you can possibly be.