4 Reasons I Love the Step Up Series

Recently, Youtube released the newest installment of the decade-old franchise Step Up. Instead of the traditional movie format, this new online series is released in hour long installments like a television show and focuses on a large group of people instead of a main couple. Although many viewers have given the Step Up movies such acclaim as “cheesy” “predictable” and “awful,” all five (count them, five) movies and this new series are some of my favorite movies of all time. Here’s why:

1. The original movie was the start of one of the greatest real-life couples ever, Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan. When I found out they were actually married, my brain exploded. Truly, the cutest love story ever.
  2. The representation of real dancers on the big screen. It’s always refreshing when dancers play dancers in television and movies—they’re not always the greatest actors, but their years of training and hard work always shine through.
  3. The introduction of so many amazing characters: Moose, Kido, Hair, Camille. Each one was so relatable and awe inspiring to a young dancer like me.
  4. This franchise gave me something to grow up with—with each stage of my growth as a person and dancer, there was a new Step Up movie to watch, one that never failed to wow me with virtuosic dancing.