Get To Know Me!

Hi! My name is Sara Fox, and welcome to my blog: Sara Grooves. I am a senior dance major with minors in biology and gender & health. I was born and raised in the northern suburbs of Chicago where I attended New Trier High School as well as danced at Extensions Dance Company under the direction of Lizzie Mackenzie. 

While in high school I was an avid participant in Special olympics, for all four years, where I created a bond and friendship with my partner, that I still have today. In college I have also continued my love forvolunteering through supporting patients at the St. Josephs Hospital in Ann Arbor. While volunteering I  play games and make the patients stay at the hospital more comfortable. This year, I recently went through training so that I am able to volunteer my time at the Planned Parenthood in Ann Arbor. I escort the patients into the clinic without the fear of protestors preventing them from receiving the care that they need and deserve.

In high school I was part of Extensions Dance Company for four years. While at Extensions I was able to learn from some of the best in the business, including: Seth Robinson, Mike Gosney, Taylor Mitchell, and Jared Baker. I have had the amazing opportunity to perform at many events around Chicago including Inaside Dance Festival. I truly cherish all of the knowledge that I have gained from all of my teachers and truly believe that without Lizzie Mackenize, I would not be the artist that I am today.

In college I have had the amazing opportunity to work with Judy Rice, Jillian Hopper, Ron De Jesus, and Peter Sparling. I had the opportunity to audition for many shows that the department puts on and was even selected to participate in the dance departments annual show held at the Power Center for the Performing Arts during my freshman year! I was also recently elected to be the president of my dance company:  Cadence Dance Company, a student run and choreographed dance company on campus that I have been a part of for four years. I also joined the HerCampus team at Michigan where I have the ability to write casual, fun articles for women on campus here at Michigan. I have thoroughly enjoyed exploring the opportunity of writing articles for this organization that showcase my personality and voice. I hope that this blog explores my voice in a different sense as well, a more artistic and creative sense! 

In addition, for the past three years I have been working at a local dance studio in Ann Arbor. The studio, Dance Theatre Studio, has been a wonderful and welcoming community. This has been my first job as a dance teacher, and I absolutely love it! I am so grateful that the staff at the studio saw my potential it has been a fruitful three years. I feel that being a teacher and a student has allowed my dancing to vastly improve. 

I was recently asked to be the creative director of a non-profit organization for women in the arts: We Are Queens. This non-profit was founded by the amazingly driven Tal Kamin, a student, peer, and friend, in efforts to create a supportive community of women. A year after its creation it has transformed into so much more than that- it has become a supportive outlet for artists to connect and create with one another. Mentorship relationships with people in the professional world as well as creative collaborative projects is the focal point of this supportive non-profit. 

I plan to take my readers along as I interview dance students, cover dance department events and shows, and hopefully post dance content! This will be an exciting year and I can’t wait for you all to join me.