Poetry v. The World: It’s morning

I wake up decently earlier, usually shooting for around 8:30 everyday. Nothing crazy, but enough to where I still get to enjoy a morning routine.

For about an hour from when I wake up to when I finish breakfast, I am in this odd state of mind. While I’m mostly awake, the adult, “get things done” part of me isn’t. None of my obligations have any weight to them, and I can just kind of boot up my systems without the pressures of reality that plague every other time of day. It’s a calm that I appreciate. Especially on a beautiful morning like this one, where I’m thankful my apartment has so many windows.

The concept for this poem actually came from a song called Goodmorning by Bleachers. He encapsulates the feeling of oblivion from when you first wake up, before anything sets in. The lines “One foot out and I knew the weight was coming/ cause I left it by the bed last night” in particular always stands out to me. It’s morning isn’t so much about the unconscious absence of mind, but rather the fact that the light grogginess of just waking up can dull my anxiety to a point where I don’t have to worry about anything. While our pieces don’t necessarily address the exact same feeling, I still think they come from the same vein.

Sincerely,

Jonah Sobczak

-jonahso

jonahso

Last year, I began my first year of college as a film student. However, my artistic style is something I've been trying hone for my entire life. I think my focus lies mainly in honesty and understanding, both of others and myself. My tones can range wildly, but no matter what it is I like to add at least a taste of humor whenever I can.