Laying Down the Sound: Colored Balloon – Episode 1

Hello everyone! I’m Dominic Manzo, a self-taught guitarist and musician. The video above is the first installment in my series titled “Laying Down the Sound.” In it, I introduce my intention behind the series. Namely, my goal is to illuminate the creative process behind my original songs; I’ll begin with each song’s starting point — a riff or chord progression — and work my way to its completion. The video serves also as the first episode of this series focused on my song “Colored Balloon,” which can be found on my YouTube channel (Mr.TheDom) and under my full name on Bandcamp. In this video, I touch on the development of the song’s fundamental chord progressions and vocal melodies. With “Laying Down the Sound,” I look forward to sharing my musical process with the viewer, and I have a feeling that I will come to better understand it myself. My hope is that my experience with writing and recording can be in some way beneficial to others who create or desire to create music. Thank you for watching and I hope you enjoy!

Dominic Manzo

Hello! I'm Dominic Manzo, a self-taught, self-recording musician hoping to share my creative process with anyone interested; hopefully what I've learned along the way can be of some benefit to someone out there. My intention is to take the viewer, via a series of videos, on a journey from the inception of a mere musical idea to the ultimate completion of a song. I've made public various standalone tracks in the past and recently released a 9-track album (it's titled "Summer . . . and Some" and can be found on YouTube under "Mr.TheDom" or on Bandcamp under my full name). My process behind creating these previous tracks will be here in focus. Acoustic guitar and vocals are typically the central components of my music, but I mix in other sounds as well. The purpose of this series is to illuminate my process of laying down the sounds that, when put together, become a song.