TOLAROIDS: Astrophotography

These photos are probably one of my favorites that I’ve ever taken, but it took me a long time to figure out how to get there. With astrophotography you don’t only need an insane amount of patience, but actually good equipment to start with (most of the photos from Peru I took with my friend’s Canon, as all that my old Sigma caught was dust that had maybe 33% chance of being actual stars.) Then you also need a perfectly clear sky, probably away from cities and any lights that would create distraction, as well as good air quality. Once you gather all of this: you’re good to go! (Don’t be discouraged if it doesn’t work out the first time though, scroll down to see what 90% of my photos from that night took) I’ve wanted to do astrophotography in Michigan at some point so I think I will try to combine it with a little more detailed tutorial in case anyone wants to give it a go! My best tip for now regardless of the equipment you’re using: play around with settings. From the images I present here you can see how you an bring out a variety of colors and shades from total darkness (the editing was minimal! Mostly contrast, but I did not change the colors or whatsoever so you can really see how powerful changing the settings can be with astrophotography.)

akilian

Tola is a young photographer from Krakow, Poland. She transferred to the University of Michigan in Fall 2021 from Royal Holloway, University of London, to double-major in Biopsychology, Cognition & Neuroscience and Classical Archaeology. Her series "Tolaroids" consists of photo stories, tutorials, and commentaries that explore all kinds of photography. In her free time, she loves dancing, painting, and sipping good coffee. She also pets all the dogs she can meet on the way to class. Instagram: @akilian.jpg Email: akilian@umich.edu