S2 Scribble #8: Strange Loop

“The fire you like so much in me”

I’m writing this after my last class of the Fall 2022 semester. While reflecting on the semester today, I had a thought: I don’t have any tattoos, but the words “Strange Loop” are what I would choose to get if I were to get one — and I’ve been considering this one for over four years.

“Is the mark of someone adamantly free.”

For me, this song encapsulates a feeling and understanding that I can hardly describe, let alone fully articulate in one of my brief Song Scribbles blogs – but that’s what’s so amazing about music, right? 

“But you can’t stop yourself from wanting worse,”

For me, “Strange Loop” means that even though things might be going smoothly for me in the current moment, eventually there will be a time full of more stress and anxiety. On the flip-side, though, while things may be overwhelming in a moment, they will turn for the better in due time. 

“’Cause nothing feeds a hunger like a thirst.”

This semester itself has been a “Strange Loop”  for me — full of highs and lows, hopeful moments as well as anxious ones. I must always remember that nothing is permanent – the good isn’t permanent, but the beauty in that is that the bad isn’t permanent, either. We just need to be patient and strong enough to wait until the tides turn. 

“Baby, I’m tired of fighting.”

Fall 2022 has been full of learning for me, as much outside of the classroom as inside. I’ve spent the past four months learning about the world and how to navigate it as well as learning about myself, and I’m so proud of myself for making it through as bravely as I did. 

“I always wanted you…”

There will be good times in the future and there will be bad times. There will be challenges, and there will be smooth sailing. The only guarantee is that things change, and I know that my positive attitude, as well as help from my loved ones, will get me through whatever this life throws at me.

“I only wanted more than I knew.”

Listen to Strange Loop by Liz Phair here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eYsEvAkZbc

Sydney Braun

University of Michigan Class of 2024. Pronouns: she/her. Double Major in Environment and Communication & Media. Huge fan of 80s/90s music, not a fan of single-use plastic water bottles. Be sure to check out Song Scribbles With Sydney, where I use my favorite music to help analyze my emotions and experiences at college, posted every Wednesday!