Laying Down the Sound: Colored Balloon – Episode 3

Welcome back to Laying Down the Sound! This is the third installment of the series and likewise the third episode focused on my song “Colored Balloon.” (I aim to finish the song in 4 videos total). In this video, I shift away from the acoustic composition – this was covered in the previous two videos – and begin concentrating on the recording process, including the equipment used and walkthroughs of the arrangement within Ableton Live, the DAW (digital audio workstation) I used. Somehow, against my will, my videos keep getting longer every week! But, again, hopefully you enjoy and can get something worthwhile out of this. Thanks for watching and I’ll be back next week with the last video – this is at least my plan – focused on “Colored Balloon.” After that, I’ll move on to other songs from my album!

Dominic Manzo

Hello! I'm Dominic Manzo, a self-taught, self-recording musician hoping to share my creative process with anyone interested; hopefully what I've learned along the way can be of some benefit to someone out there. My intention is to take the viewer, via a series of videos, on a journey from the inception of a mere musical idea to the ultimate completion of a song. I've made public various standalone tracks in the past and recently released a 9-track album (it's titled "Summer . . . and Some" and can be found on YouTube under "Mr.TheDom" or on Bandcamp under my full name). My process behind creating these previous tracks will be here in focus. Acoustic guitar and vocals are typically the central components of my music, but I mix in other sounds as well. The purpose of this series is to illuminate my process of laying down the sounds that, when put together, become a song.