The Indian Artist: Technique

I have been very busy these past few weeks as I am sure many of you have been as well. So I wanted to keep it short and share a quick post this week regarding one of my favorite techniques in my drawings. Enjoy!

I was introduced to foreshortening as a technique in all forms of art in early high school. Foreshortening is used not only in drawing and painting but also in photography to add interest and visual pleasure. Foreshortening plays purely on perspective and vision, portraying an object as having less distance or depth than it does. In general, foreshortening refers to depicting an object or human body in a picture so as to produce an illusion of projection or extension in space and can be a difficult effect to achieve.

As soon as I tried foreshortening in my artwork for the first time I fell in love with the technique. As a lover of drawing portraits, I found that using foreshortening creates great interest in a piece and makes for a wide arena of creative availability and agency.

In my first foreshortening piece titled Reaching Out For You, I created a portrait of my brother in a stylistic first attempt at the technique. I found that I could keep the rest of my portrait relatively simple and demonstrative with the inclusion of foreshortening. Rather than using very tight methods of rendering, I left the majority of the piece stylistic, focusing primarily on the hand reaching out to the viewer. Let me know what you think of the piece and what you would have done differently!

As always, if anything that I discussed in this post stands out or if any questions arise please feel free to comment and share your thoughts.

Looking forward to next Sunday!

~ Riya

Personal website:   https://riyarts.weebly.com/

Riya A

My name is Riya and I am currently a Senior at U of M studying Molecular Biology with a double minor in Art & Design and Sociology on the pre-med track. Art has been a huge passion of mine from a very young age and in the final iteration of my column, I look forward to sharing my passions as they connect to my culture, medicine, and art.