MediaScape Musings # 14 : Catch Me If You Can: A Weekend of Musical Marvel at UM

This weekend, I had the pleasure of attending Musket’s production of “Catch Me If You Can” at the Power Center. It was my first time experiencing a musical in this venue and only my second musical at the University of Michigan. The audience size was astounding, making the experience feel even more special. Knowing that this turnout was just for one of the three showings filled me with pride for the level of interest in the arts here.

“Catch Me If You Can,” based on the thrilling cat-and-mouse film that a friend had once insisted I watch, claiming it as one of their favorites, did not disappoint. The adaptation captured the essence of the movie perfectly, delivering key plot points with a humorous and entertaining twist. It brought back the excitement I felt watching the film for the first time. The performance of “Fly, Fly Away” by the leading lady was particularly moving, and the closing songs “Goodbye” and “Stuck Together” added a delightful charm to the narrative. Watching the evolution of Frank and Carl’s relationship from tension and pursuit to a surprisingly touching embrace was emotional.

Although the musical didn’t cover Frank’s eventual role in the FBI, the ending felt fitting and left the audience on a high note. Musket, founded in 1908, continues to be an integral part of the University of Michigan experience, offering students various opportunities to engage, whether as actors, crew members, or audience members at the distinguished Power Center. This production of “Catch Me If You Can” was a testament to the vibrant and talented community at UM and a reminder of the power of live theatre to captivate and move us.