S3 Scribble #19: Modern Love

“(Modern love) walks on by, (Modern love) gets me to the church on time,”

My parents visited Ann Arbor this past weekend, and it was great to be able to spend time with them for the first time since January. I’m lucky to be able to have had some rejuvenating family time to help me recharge for the last stretch of the semester. I have a lot coming up: exams, papers, senior events, student organization commitments, and, of course, graduation and moving out of my house in Ann Arbor.

“(Church on time) terrifies me, (Church on time) makes me party,”

It’s finally starting to hit me that my “lasts” are fast approaching: my last undergraduate assignments, my last tour I give as a University of Michigan Tour Guide, my last club meetings, my last nights staying up late in this college house with my friends. Being able to have these “lasts” is a luxury that I did not receive in high school: due to the pandemic, everything in high school was cut off in mid March of 2020. I had all of my high school “lasts” without even realizing it: my last lacrosse game, my last class, my last test, my last lunch in the cafeteria. I’m realizing that this bittersweet feeling about experiencing my University of Michigan “lasts” is a new one for me, but after the way my high school experience ended, I am well aware that being able to know when my “lasts” are going to be is a blessing.

“(Church on time) puts my trust in God and man,”

Even though it may be sad to knowingly have my “last” experiences, I am grateful to  be able to have these “last” experiences in the first place, since I know firsthand they are not to be taken for granted. I will approach each “last” with enthusiasm and gratitude, and I will be thankful for every “last” I am able to experience.

“(God and man) no confession, (God and man) no religion,”

While my ending to high school was less than ideal, I can appreciate what it taught me: be grateful, take nothing for granted, and make the most of every moment I have, whether or not it is my “last.” This year, in these next few weeks, I have the privilege of experiencing my “lasts,” and I will not let a single one go unremembered or unappreciated.

“(God and man) don’t believe in modern love.”

Listen to Modern Love by David Bowie here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHzVjGBxOJs

Sydney Braun

University of Michigan Class of 2024. Pronouns: she/her. Double Major in Environment and Communication & Media. Huge fan of 80s/90s music, not a fan of single-use plastic water bottles. Be sure to check out Song Scribbles With Sydney, where I use my favorite music to help analyze my emotions and experiences at college, posted every Wednesday!