S3 Scribble #21: BODYGUARD

“They couldn’t catch you and they never will,”

This past weekend, I went to Cleveland, Ohio to see the solar eclipse in totality. In 2017, my family and I traveled to Columbia, South Carolina to experience totality, and it was such an amazing experience that we agreed to see the next solar eclipse that crossed the United States in totality as well. This year, in 2024, we fulfilled that promise and met up in Cleveland for the weekend to experience the awe-inspiring event once again.

“Sometimes I hold you closer just to know you’re real.”

I drove there from Ann Arbor with one of my brothers, who is a huge fan of Beyoncé. She just released a new album entitled Cowboy Carter, and I promised my brother that I would wait to listen to it until we were in the car together so he could tell me all about the album and various songs. Not only was this a great bonding experience for us (music is one of my favorite ways to get to know someone better, even someone I’ve known for the vast majority of my life), but it was love at first listen. I’ve had songs from Cowboy Carter on repeat ever since, but none make me feel as happy and ready to get up and dance as “BODYGUARD.”

“Tell me your problems, I take how you feel,”

Clearly, I’ve chosen a happy song for a happy blog detailing a happy weekend. Getting to spend time with my whole family all together was rejuvenating and fun, and the eclipse did not disappoint. For me, I don’t think experiencing totality will ever lose its appeal. Even though I experienced it back in 2017, my sense of wonder during this year’s eclipse was unmatched. To be able to witness the eclipse alongside those closest to me made it all the more special.

“I show you an exit,”

After a chaotic and traffic-filled drive back to Ann Arbor, I felt nothing but gratitude and love. I’m thrilled to have had such a wonderful and rare opportunity to have seen a second total solar eclipse, and I’m happy to have made such fun memories with my family. I’m also incredibly glad that I’ve got a new, amazing album on rotation – perfect for the fast-approaching summer!

“When you’re restless, I take the wheel.”

Listen to BODYGUARD by Beyoncé here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9qjKyMk9iI&list=OLAK5uy_lirsolI4HUPN3Uvmxylc6v1wlR5OXUONQ&index=8

Sydney Braun

University of Michigan Class of 2024. Pronouns: she/her. Double Major in Environment and Communication & Media. Huge fan of 80s/90s music, not a fan of single-use plastic water bottles. Be sure to check out Song Scribbles With Sydney, where I use my favorite music to help analyze my emotions and experiences at college, posted every Wednesday!