S3 Scribble #20: The Wire

“You know, there’s no rhyme or reason for the way it turned out to be.”

My friends and I were talking a couple of days ago about how busy we are going to be from now up until graduation. We’ve had exams and papers due this week, and in just a few more weeks, we will have to take final exams for the last time as undergraduates. Attempting to stay on top of schoolwork and extracurriculars while also trying to fit everything else in before I leave Ann Arbor while graduation is fast approaching means that my days and weeks fill up very quickly. This week has been no exception – I am currently writing this at a time where I was supposed to be busy, but my plans got canceled at the last minute – (disappointing, but my writing, both for this blog and for a paper that I’m working on that is due on Friday, will surely benefit from it).

“I didn’t go and try to change my mind, not intentionally.”

Bittersweet is a word that has been on my mind a lot recently. That’s what led me to the song for my blog this week: “The Wire” by HAIM. While the song is about a breakup, I see parallels between the lyrics and my current situation as a senior. It’s hard to know that the end of an era is near, but it’s comforting to be reminded that I’m going to be okay regardless. While I know this to be true, with such mixed emotions in the air, I’ve felt undeniably overwhelmed this semester, and not just because I’ve been busy. 

“I know it’s hard to hear me say it, but I can’t bear to stay in.”

Finishing up my undergraduate degree and moving into a new future means I have a lot to think about, a lot to worry about, and a lot to be excited about, all at once. It’s not surprising that I’ve been abnormally emotional these past few weeks. After this post, I will only have four Song Scribbles blogs left before I officially graduate, and I’m starting to feel a natural ending in sight. Although I’m going to miss writing these blogs, living among all of my friends, and taking classes in Ann Arbor, I’ve also got a promising future on the horizon that I can’t wait to experience.

“I just know, I know, I know, I know that you’re gonna be okay anyway.”

Listen to The Wire by HAIM here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vh0iP5BziQ

Sydney Braun

University of Michigan Class of 2024. Pronouns: she/her. Double Major in Environment and Communication & Media. Huge fan of 80s/90s music, not a fan of single-use plastic water bottles. Be sure to check out Song Scribbles With Sydney, where I use my favorite music to help analyze my emotions and experiences at college, posted every Wednesday!