Letters by Lydia: Crayola Bright Colors

Welcome back to another post!  My parents visited me last weekend, and my mom brought me a pack of Crayola markers (big shoutout to her <3), so I thought I’d do a quick little review! My mom and I share a love for Crayola markers, not only because they’re super cheap and accessible, but also because they’re incredibly vibrant and easy to use.

The set she got me is a set of 10, broadline markers in the “bright colors” selection.  As you can see from the swatches, they’re all super pigmented, some of them even being neon.  Crayola in general has an insane color range, and it’s so nice to be able to get sets like this with colors I’d actually use, as opposed to the typical, flat, basic colors you get from cheaper sets made for kids.

As for what makes these so great, Crayola markers, both the supertips and these broadline ones, are perfect for beginners in lettering, or people who just don’t wanna spend a ton of money.  The tips are flexible enough that you can use them as if they were brush pens, but you can also use them on their sides like highlighters, and with an even amount of pressure to get a consistent line.  Depending on how hard you press, the thickness varies wildly, which is another great quality because it makes them super versatile.  Another positive is that, because they’re inexpensive, you don’t have to feel bad about overusing them, experimenting with them, or not taking great care of them.

There truly aren’t very many downsides to these.  One slight negative is that the ink can be a bit thin and inconsistent–it’s washable, because it’s made for kids, so if you use two colors on top of each other, they’ll probably bleed a little bit.  The ink also might just bleed onto the paper you’re using.  Another strangedownside is that sometimes it can be hard to get the cap on and off, although that might just be this specific set.

Overall, a great set of markers! Thanks mom!

lydnas

Lydia (she/her) is a sophomore at umich studying English. Her favorite things are usually creative, emotional, colorful, and adorable. She's currently working on her pen addiction, but has a growing fear (hope?) that this blog series will be the start of a relapse. You can see more of her handlettering work on Instagram (@letters_by_lydia). Thanks for stopping by!!