An Introduction

Hello, Micey here. My series Sketchbook Smashing will be my attempt to chronicle all my character designs and how they evolve through candid shots of my sketchbook and doodles. This is an introduction to the characters I draw the most and my character design goals, so it’ll be a bit longer than my usual posts.

Taya and Nano: 

These are the main characters of my story. Taya is the one in color and Nano is the one with the tattoo sleeves. These are my most recent fullbody drawings of them. Nano’s design has stayed very consistent. She is a recent character I have created. Taya is the character I draw the most so she’s a very good indicator of my art style timeline. She has had many iterations. I want her to have this 1930s influence and look classy:

Her character sheet from summer 2021’s artfight event. I ditched the bag because it was a pain to draw.
A recent-ish drawing of Taya, my first attempt to change her design after the previous photo. The black skirt wasn’t working for me.
Drew this on Oct 11th, See how I changed her broach?

Cyrene and her Tattoos:

Another face you might be seeing is Cyrene. She’s a part of Taya and Nano’s story but I also transplanted and now play her in DnD. She has the powers of ink manipulation and DnD has really helped me flesh out what she can do and what her tattoos look like.

I drew this at my first DnD session.

Her tattoos are very elaborate, aren’t they? I reminded myself that I’m going to have to draw her over and over so I took a more simplified approach after this.

You can see a bit of Taya here
The most recent concepts. I’m using her “neck drips” in my comic to see easy it is to draw

Her tattoos are still a WIP. So is her outfit. Ever since I’ve made her hair more “princessy” by putting it in a half-up position, I now lean towards putting her in more trendy skirts and dresses, to add more juxtaposition to her tattoos.

The Backup Character:

The thing about Cyrene is that she keeps almost getting killed in the DnD sessions. After another player had a close call with their character, I realized I needed a backup in the event of Cyrene’s death.

She’s also a transplant from my story. She’s a drow with horns instead of eyes and she works at a casino. You might see stuff like this – individual character concepts that only take up a page or so instead of a continuous series like Cyrene and Taya.

This is all I believe. I look forwards to interacting with you all.

Micey

J. Shen or "Micey" is a Junior at Umich. She loves character design and telling stories and dabbles in making her own comics. Sketchbook Smashing is an attempt to chronicle her process in designing characters. From first concepts, hairstyle and outfit changes, or even complete shifts in design. She also hopes to map out how her own art style changes throughout the year. Her website is https://wallmouseart.weebly.com Her art Tumblr is https://wallmouse.tumblr.com