Fable Friday: Benzaiten

Benzaiten, also known as Benten in a simplified form, is the Japanese buddhist goddess associated with many things. She is the goddess of the arts, speech, learning, wealth, and feminine beauty, often pictured with a Japanese version of a lyre, or other musical instruments. She is also considered a goddess of the sea. She reminds me of Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love and beauty, who also has an association with the sea. This leads me to wonder why these two things have been combined together in worship of female deities and if there are others across the world that fit this mold?

Sierra Iverson

My name is Sierra Snow Iverson, and I'm a junior pursing a Bachelor of Fine Arts at the Penny W. Stamps School of Art and Design. I have a focus in animation and film due to my intense interest in storytelling. However, I have a background in Illustration and 2D Design. The content of my postings will center around fables and myths from around the world through a combination of illustrations and written material.