Review: Let Me Clooney You In

Today I went to the Michigan theater to see “Up in the Air”. I really did feel like a freshman when I entered the establishment for the first time in my life. My mouth was hanging wide open and all I could do was stare at the banisters, moldings, ceiling, grand staircases, and overall elegance of the lobby. I mean Wow! It’s beautiful and it looks like it hasn’t changed at all since it was first built. Of course that isn’t the reason I went to the movie, just a fantastic surprise as I freaked out because of my late arrival to the movie. Luckily, I only missed some previews. Whew!

Anyway, the movie. It started with introducing us to what Clooney’s character does for a living; firing people and traveling around the country to do so. He loves his life, absolutely no attachments, no “baggage,” and preaches a philosophy of freedom through having no ties to people or objects. He puts all deep connections to the world in a “backpack and burns it.” He claims that all the people that he needs are in the airports and hotels where he lives and his only goal is to rack up 10 million frequent flyer miles, something that only six other people have ever done. Poor guy doesn’t realize that he by living like this he is losing what it means to be human.

I don’t want to give away too much of this movie, so I’m not going to go too deep into the plot. Basically the movie takes place in America during the recession we’ve been in. All of the markets are going down and companies are constantly laying off more people. It’s milk and honey for Clooney’s company. A new intern “revolutionizes” the industry and designs a program that will save money by firing people via computer conference. His way of life threatened, Clooney begins his last trip with her to show her what exactly the company does. Both learn more about themselves and the things they’ve lost. The journey is revealing and personal and ends, as always it seems, with self enlightenment.

Like a College Freshman, His New Travel Companion Has Absolutely No Idea

The movie was well acted and directed. The writing was fantastic and multifaceted. And the characters are emerging figures in our progressing society. “Up in the Air” is an incredibly modern film set in the same time and place as we are, with some of the same problems and life choices. Sexting, countless plastic cards to swipe, and impersonal relationships galore, the movie really puts a mirror in front of progress and asks “Really? Really? You’re serious?”

“Up in the Air” will be playing at the Michigan Theater through Thursday the 14th. Tickets are only $7 and soooo worth it. I recommend this movie to all my readers, if only to see this new perspective on relationships and modern society. Have a great week everyone!

As always, this is Danny Fob: Artist and Art Reviewer

Danny Fob

I'm a Junior in LSA majoring in Italian and minoring in Art History. I love writing for art[seen] because it gives me the opportunity to show all of these amazing shows that the University brings to Ann Arbor. We get some world class performers and I would be really bummed if I missed out on anything that I'll never have to opportunity to see again. What you need to know about me? I'm not a writer, an art expert, and I didn't grow up around this much culture. I am a busy student at UofM, so if you are judging me for something, it's okay because I won't have time to respond. I'll just keep seeing shows and you can be jealous!