Preview: The struggles of Nearly Modern Milk – “8”

Dustin Lance Black accepts GLAAD award for 8

From the Academy Award Winning Screenwriter of Milk, Dustin Lance Black, comes a new and modern representation of the struggles that the LGBT community is facing today. Mr. Black depicted the hardships that Harvey Milk was facing in the 70’s in a film that made a big splash in 2008. Milk, starring Sean Penn, told the story of the San Francisco politician and of his assassination in 1978. Black’s new play, “8” brings to light the struggle that Proposition 8 has produced in California recently. Prop 8, or the California Marriage Protection Act, is a constitutional amendment in California stating that, “only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California.” This one amendment nullified all same-sex marriages that had already been allowed in California and prevented any future ones from happening. In the past few years, the LGBTQ and Ally Community have been working strenuously to get it repealed, and this play tells us the story of the act’s regrettable life. Please Join the UofM Spectrum Center for their 40th Anniversary this weekend and attend this free event. It takes place at 7:30pm at Stamps Auditorium in the Walgreen Center on North Campus. Yes, I know, it’s north campus, but it is sooo worth it!

Academy Award Winning Milk
Academy Award Winning "Milk"

For more info about events happening for the anniversary, please see my post on the Gala event of visit the Spectrum Center Website.

Sending you love and light,

Danny Fob

(Coffee is on me if you can name the show that my sign off is from!)

Danny Fob

I'm a Junior in LSA majoring in Italian and minoring in Art History. I love writing for art[seen] because it gives me the opportunity to show all of these amazing shows that the University brings to Ann Arbor. We get some world class performers and I would be really bummed if I missed out on anything that I'll never have to opportunity to see again. What you need to know about me? I'm not a writer, an art expert, and I didn't grow up around this much culture. I am a busy student at UofM, so if you are judging me for something, it's okay because I won't have time to respond. I'll just keep seeing shows and you can be jealous!