REVIEW: Jennifer Holms, lecture and reading

Thursday evening, I sat in the Stern Auditorium of the UMMA, perhaps my favorite auditorium on campus, to hear Jennifer Holms give a lecture about her life as a children’s author. Quirky, energetic, and quite hilarious, she enraptured us with the stories behind her three Newbery awards and success as a published author.

Holms had four brothers growing up, and she mentioned how greatly that environment continues to influence her life as an author today. She discussed that her motivation to start a graphic novel series for young girls was because she remembers growing up, only having comic books about boys to read: Superman, Spiderman, and Batman. Holms saw young girls as an audience that was largely lacking in their own comic books of sorts, and wrote her series “Babymouse” to fill the gap. “Babymouse” tells the story of a small mouse named Babymouse and her experiences in school, struggling with adolescence, boys, lockers, and running for class elections. She is cute, relatable, loves pink, and eats a lot of cupcakes. Since I too love pink and eat way too many cupcakes, I think I may have to start reading these books.

Holms’ lecture touched on her 3 Newbery award winning novels: Turtle in Paradise, Our Only May Amelia, and Penny from Heaven. As an aspiring young writer myself, I was so interested to hear how all of her stories stemmed from the experiences and traditions passed along in her family. I saw so much passion as she spoke about the subjects of these stories, that I understood at least a core reason why she’d so deserved those awards.

As an introduction before Holms’ lecture, a woman got up and spoke about why we continue to love and appreciate children’s literature now that we are older. She mentioned how it reminds us of how we began as readers; that childlike wonder of knowing you’ve finished your first chapter book. I think this lecture reminded me too of what that feels like.

In the end, I’m obviously so glad I went. It was definitely a dream come true to hear one of my childhood idols, Jennifer Holms, give a talk. Moral of the story, if I were to give one, would be read your e-mails. There are so many opportunities here in Ann Arbor, and I definitely would have missed it if I hadn’t actually read some of those English department newsletters. Hope to see you at the next reading!

One thought to “REVIEW: Jennifer Holms, lecture and reading”