REVIEW: Silver Linings Playbook

Silver Linings Playbook

For months, the word on everyone’s lips has been “Silver Linings Playbook.” As far back as  Thanksgiving break, my friends had been advising me to see it. I missed my chance because it left theaters, but after the big Oscar buzz struck, the film reappeared on the silver screen and is now playing at The State Theater. For the first time in….decades (?), all four major acting categories draw nods from one film: Best Actor/Actress and Best Supporting Actor/Actress. With that knowledge in mind, I had high expectations for the film. And yes! It absolutely met my expectations, and exceded them.

Its hard to decide who I fell more in love with, JLaw or BCoop, as my celebrity-savvy  housemate might call the duo. Bradley Cooper’s character, Pat,  has recently been released from a mental institution after serving a sentence for reacting violently to his wife unfaithfulness. In the process of recovery, he discovers that he suffers from far more severe personality disorders, which he inherited from his father- a relationship that still challenges him upon his return home. As he re-integrates into his former lifestyle, he struggles to forget his wife, but in the process discovers a love that is far more passionate and whole hearted.

Jennifer Lawrence’s character plays Tiffany, an equally wounded but independent and caring character who helps Pat get back on  his feet by teaching him to dance- literally (and figuratively I suppose). In the process she falls in love with him and waits for him to come around and realize how very much in love he also is with her. The chemistry between them is very natural but also electric. (I will add here that it is, indeed, a great movie date if you are looking for a way to celebrate Valentine’s day. I noticed  a good number of couples in the crowd).

The film did a very refined job of telling an atypical story while maintaing a sense of realism. It was about family, struggle, finding love, letting it go, and keeping it without getting too crazy. These characters were very familiar; it was not a period piece or a computerized fantasy story- often the winners of Oscar awards. The acting was  so real, so believable, and so authentic- that surely  is why this film has garnered so much praise. One particularly touching and truthful scene was when Robert Deniro,  an aging father, opens to his son for the first time about his love for him and his mistakes as a parent. I was moved  and nearly found myself in tears as well!

My favorite part about this movie was that I went by myself. If you’ve ever avoided going to a movie by yourself because you fear it will be uncomfortable and pitiful, the way a solo restauteur sometimes appears, I highly recommend you revamp your opinions. Going to moveis by myself is the most therapeutic alone time I can think of! I was so happy to spend my Monday evening watching this adorable movie. It’s only in Ann Arbor for the week, so get yourself to the theater- with or without a date!