PREVIEW: Audra McDonald and the University Symphony Orchestra

I could rattle off a laundry list of Audra McDonald’s (very numerous) accomplishments, but those can be Googled in an instant. Instead, I want to say that I have admired Audra McDonald’s work for a very long time. I was first introduced to her when a friend of mine sang “I Don’t Mind”, which appears on Audra’s 2000 album, How Glory Goes. I was instantly hooked. You can imagine, then, my excitement when I learned she was coming here, then as now.

The fall before last, the entire Musical Theatre department was abuzz with the news that Audra McDonald, the Audra McDonald, was to perform in our very own Hill Auditorium. Due to the generosity of two members of the Friends of Musical Theatre, the department was able not only to obtain prime seats, but also to attend a quick talk-back with Audra herself shortly before the performance, strictly for the department. We were all blown away at her generosity of spirit and her candor. Then, of course, we were blown away again by her astonishing performance. She combines soaring vocal prowess with unqualified honesty and depth, and is a relatable stage presence, garnering laughs and tears in equal measure. Everyone in Hill Auditorium that night knew they had just witnessed something very special. If you ask any musical theatre major who was there (and most probably, any other person), I have no doubt that they would tell you that that concert changed their life. It certainly changed mine.

If you see no other performance this year, see Audra McDonald. She is one of the most sensational performers alive today.

It’s time to welcome Audra and her long-time accompanist and music director, Andy Einhorn, back to Michigan.