REVIEW: Fun Home

It is June 2015. I’ve had a long day of interacting with customers at my summer job as a cashier and am now zoning out on the couch, the 2015 Tony Awards on in the background. The Fun Home cast enters between award presentations and begins to perform “Ring of Keys”, a touching song about halfway through the musical. From the first word I am enchanted by the interaction between Alison and her younger self; I turn the volume up. Like much of the musical, the song has an adult Alison reflecting back on a moment of her childhood where she wrestles with gender roles, sexuality, and the mystery of growing up. I watched in amazement at the simplicity and beauty of this song.

Fun Home went on to win 5 Tony awards that year, including Best Musical. This was my first experience with the striking narrative of Fun Home and I am very excited that the National Touring Company is playing at Fisher Theatre in Detroit this December. On Saturday, December 3rd I went to the matinee, the one song I knew from the show playing in my head.

Fisher Theatre (from Broadway in Detroit website)

I was blown away by the production’s energy and honesty. The entire cast was amazing, whether it was a tense scene about her father’s meticulous and obsessive restoration of their house or a lively pop number where the child Alison made a commercial for her family’s funeral home- the so called “Fun Home”. In her journey to discovering and accepting she is a lesbian, Alison continually reflects back on moments of her childhood and adolescense; often these moments had all three Alisons, at various ages, on stage singing together. These tableaus were visually beautiful and made me wish I could interact with my former self that way. “Ring of Keys” was still one of my favorite songs, as was “Changing my Major” – a comically sweet moment where college Alison decides to major in Joan, the girl she is dating and her first love. I enjoyed every number, from opening to end, and left feeling I’d witnessed something special.

My friend Mady and I in the beautiful Fisher Theatre

For students who would like to see Fun Home, during the musical’s entire run at Fisher Theatre, until December 11th, Broadway in Detroit will be offering a great deal on rush tickets for college students. Rush tickets begin 2 hours before each performance at the box office and are limited to 2 tickets per valid student ID. They are $25 cash tickets. This is a great deal and amazing opportunity to see an inspiring piece of theatre! And as University of Michigan students, the Connector makes getting to Detroit easy and affordable (its free). Don’t miss your chance to see Fun Home!

The Details:
Dates: Now- December 11th
Times: Tuesday -Saturday at 8pm
Sunday at 7:30pm
Saturday and Sunday matinees at 2pm
Where: Fisher Theatre in Detroit
More information: Broadway in Detroit

Natalie Steers

Natalie Steers is pursuing a double major in English and Creative Writing as well as a Minor in Business. She's always had a passion for the arts and her favorite pastimes generally include practicing yoga, reading realistic fiction and fantasy novels, listening to NPR, drinking hot chocolate, and constantly reteaching herself how to knit.