PREVIEW: Joker

Joker is a movie that everybody seemingly already has an opinion about. Having won the Golden Lion award, the top prize at the Venice Film Festival in September, the film has only gained momentum since. It is the result of an unstoppable combination of scintillating controversy, an iconic villain, and a movie-watching public hungry for both of the above. Starring Joaquin Phoenix,  Joker is about a man gone mad and the society that has ignored him for far too long. The premise is a familiar one, of course, well tread by innumerable movies before it, but never in quite so much clown make-up. You too can form an opinion about this contentious film; Joker is currently showing at the State Theater. Tickets can be bought online or at the box office ($8.50 with a student ID).

Corrina Lee

Corrina is a senior majoring in Economics. She writes about movies and art because no one will listen to her rant about Game of Thrones anymore.

One thought to “PREVIEW: Joker”

1. I like your description of it, I didn’t know that it took the Golden Lion to be honest. Not a fan of Joaquin Phoenix but would go and watch it anyway this weekend. There is a movie theater next to my property in Germany https: //tranio.com/germany/, will take couple of friends and enjoy it. I heard both good and bad reviews. It’s time to have my own opinion.