PREVIEW: Moxie

Netflix’s new film release, Moxie, directed by Amy Poehler and based off of a book by Jennifer Mathieu, has been all over the news for me lately. Netflix even sent me an email, saying “We think you might like this! Coming in early March.” I’m excited to see what Amy Poehler brings to this story.

Described as a “sweet, clear-eyed Gen-Z female empowerment story,” the film follows 16-year-old Vivian as she and other girls at her school push back against the misogynistic culture of their educational institution and eventually create the titular underground zine, “Moxie.”

I’m excited to see how this film handles feminism and politics in the high school setting of Gen Z. While I’ve heard the film does its best to be intersectional and inclusive of many different identities, I have read that the film’s shortcomings in this area can be distracting and disappointing.

Tina Fey’s Mean Girls, arguably the most well-known and iconic female-driven high school movie of my generation, came out in 2004. Even though I’m in college now, I think it’s time for a new girl-power film anthem, one that’s updated to better fit the high school experience of Gen Z and include broader representation.

Madison Krumins

Madison (she/they) is a current senior studying Sociology (Law, Justice & Social Change) and minoring in English and Russian. They have always been an avid participant in the theatre arts, and they enjoy creating and performing music.

One thought to “PREVIEW: Moxie”

1. Might actually wait for your review before I watch this one. I’m worried about its shortcomings too.