PREVIEW: The Moth StorySLAM

Has your friend ever told you a story from their life? A story of their mom’s best home-cooked food, of that terrible first date they went on last week, of crying in the library at 2am. How did it feel to listen to them? Whether the story was funny, sad, moving, or silly – in every case, there is something powerful happening there, something that brings you two closer together by listening to them.

Now imagine hearing stories like that…but from complete strangers!

That’s what a Moth StorySLAM night is like – an audience, a microphone, and the brave storytellers who get up to command the room for five minutes at a time with true tales from their own lives. StorySLAM events happen all over the country, from L.A. to NYC – and tomorrow night, there will be one at The Blind Pig in Ann Arbor! The prompt for storytellers is Fortune: prepare a five-minute story about Lady Luck.

I’ve been a big fan of The Moth podcast, which captures this type of personal storytelling in the form of episodes each grouped around a story theme. Each story ranges wildly, but what they all share is that they remind me how much I have in common with complete strangers. It’s a deeply empathetic experience to connect with someone that way. I’m incredibly excited to experience it in-person instead of through my earbuds for the first time! I’m also looking forward to visiting The Blind Pig for the first time, which I’ve heard is a very chill and down-to-earth Ann Arbor establishment.

More details on the event can be found on this page: https://themoth.org/events/fortune-ann-arbor. It’ll be happening tomorrow, Tuesday November 16 at The Blind Pig on 208 S 1st St. Doors open at 6:30PM and the stories will start at 7:30PM! Please note that The Blind Pig is an 18+ venue. You can nab tickets here: https://www.blindpigmusic.com/calendar#!/events/1863. I hope to see some of you there!

Himaja

Himaja (she/her) is a Computer Engineering and Writing student with a particular love for music and dance. She's made of 70% mac 'n cheese and 30% coffee and spends her free time going down Wikipedia rabbit holes and writing postcard fiction.