PREVIEW: Bonnets: How Ladies of Good Breeding are Induced to Murder

What: a campy, absurdist play performed by SMTD depicting how easily three women become murderers

When: 

• February 17, 2023 8:00PM
  • February 18, 2023 8:00PM
  • February 19, 2023 2:00PM

Where: Lydia Mendelssohn Theatre (map)

Tickets: $13 for students, $27.50-$33.50 regular, purchase online

Bonnets: How Ladies of Good Breeding are Induced to Murder. Most of the websites where I looked for details mentioned camp, absurdism, and themes of love and violence. A few suggested that the play was narrated by God. I’m excited to see where the story goes, and I do love absurdism so I’m hoping to get a couple laughs (although, if anything, this year I’ve conditioned myself never to expect simple comedy performances). The play was originally commissioned by the Big Ten Theatre Consortium, an organization which aims to promote writing and producing stories centering women in professional and academic theaters in the U.S. It was written by Jen Silverman, the most-performed playwright in the country, and a panel discussion after the performance will explore how her work embodies the idea of creative destruction, featuring UM faculty Dr. Ashley Richards, Dr. Kristie Dotson, and Professor Amy Chavasse.