Hotel Transylvania review

Well, as was said in the preview, this Pixar comedy is about a Vampire Dad ( Dracula) who has worked his whole life to keep his daughter away from the human world. In the process he has always kept his ghoulish friends and family close by making an ENORMOUS castle only for ghoulish friends.. Called Hotel Transylvania! This is only to be wrecked when a human comes in to the hotel.. and likes his daughter!
No doubt that this is a comedy with a zany monster ambience mixed in with an over-protective father storyline and a daughter who wants to come of her own. This storyline is great, and no doubt Hotel Transylvania does a good job with it! But many movies have this classic plot, so what makes Hotel Transylvania unique? Read on to find out!
2 reasons why you should see Hotel Transylvania:
Socially Correct- This movie happens to do some stereotype busting! Perhaps the funniest scene which portrays this is when, ( spoiler alert!) Count Dracula goes near the plane which Ben the human is on, and he sees inside the plane that Twilight is playing. His response is, “Oh.. This is how we are portrayed?!” I am a bit biased. But as a person who took a class on From Harems to Terrorists, How Hollywood Vilifies a People ( about Arab Americans), it’s important to me that people really understand that the idea that portrayal doesn’t equal to reality. This is especially felt by those who are often portrayed. I really thought that Dracula gave a voice to those in society who are marginalized. When Ben asks him, so is it true that if someone drives a wooden stake down your heart, you will die? Dracula’s response, “Well, won’t everybody?” This reminds me of many times when many people have odd assumptions of “other groups.” But many times, people from these “other groups” will basically point out that those from dominant groups do the same thing or have the same interest. I am not saying that everyone is equal and that there are no differences. But as humans we, have more in similarities than differences. And when Dracula utters that no-brainer line, he reminds me of how many marginalized peoples have myth-busting notions, which dominant groups never seem to realize. As a fellow human who dominates the planet in comparison to vampires, I will say that even I never realized that everybody would die with a wooden stake to their heart- not just vampires! Lol! Meticulous detail – Hotel Transylvania is definitely trying to really let its audience experience a complete monster world. It achieves this by letting all the details of ghoul world be seen and heard. For instance, when count Dracula is in the lobby of the hotel he says ‘Hi’ to everyone. But everyone is a ghost, so he says ‘Hi,’ in a more appropriate way. For instance, he tells one of one of his ghostly friends, you still look pale and good ever! Also, when a customer tells him (or grunts to him ) that he needs a bigger plunger, the camera goes up on the character.. Who happens to be the huge Bigfoot! Dracula’s response to this is, “It’s ok Mr. Bigfoot, everyone has a tummy ache!” By giving answers only specific to the monsters’ backgrounds, the comedy is further enriched.
In sum, everyone that watches this will go home happy!
I wouldn’t say that this Pixar flic is the standout Pixar movie of the year. BUT I do think that this yet another great see and something which adults and children will both like!
Lastly, this is Halloween! Go Enjoy a Halloween movie!
3.25 stars out of 4

LitaPitasMusings

I love big dogs, movies from the 1930s-1960s, I am a "girly -girl-feminist" and I love fast food.

One thought to “Hotel Transylvania review”