REVIEW: New York Philharmonic

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/02/24/arts/24WOLLHEIM_SPAN/24WOLLHEIM-articleLarge.jpg

Saturday night, Hill Auditorium was absolutely packed. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the auditorium sold out before, but this was just about at peak capacity. And only after I’d finished appraising the crowd, everyone so nicely suited up, did I notice the orchestra was already tuning on stage. It was a smaller section of the orchestra that they used for the first two Mozart pieces, making up the first half of the concert. Regardless, their sound was more than impressive. From the moment the conductor walked on stage, I entirely forgot where I was until it all ended in a final, flourished wave of his arm.

The first piece, Mozart’s The Marriage of Figaro, K. 492 was absolutely staggering. Every turn of the music left me wondering, what’s coming next? As I sat their listening, I tried to imagine what I would be doing if I were in a silent film where this was the soundtrack. I imagined me dancing, then the floor gave out and I was falling, then I was laughing and flirting with a dashing gentleman, then he murders me! With every twist and lift of the synchronized first violinists, the attitude of the piece entirely shifted. As every overture should conclude, it was a valiant finish that left everyone squirming in their seats, wanting more.

Mozart’s Symphony No. 36 in C Major, K. 425 was the second piece and even more fantastic than its predecessor. Just as flourished albeit a little more charming and embellished with shadows of passion, this piece too was breathtakingly perfect.

That’s the other thing about the New York Philharmonic – I don’t think you can do it any better! Both their Mozart pieces and the Brahms were absolutely flawless. After the show, I had froyo with a friend of mine who attended the concert with me and I asked her, seeing as she is quite an esteemed musician herself, how do you do it better than that? She replied, simply, you don’t.

The Brahms piece they played was one that took Brahms nearly 11 years to compose. 11 years on the same symphony!? I can’t even imagine. I write short fiction as part of my creative writing major here and that would mean that I would have started a story back when I was nine if I were to write a story in the time it took Brahms to write his first symphony. What?! The piece was, of course, stellar. It said in the program that it was fairly lengthy compared to the average arrangement of the time, however, I swear it felt like I sat in my seat for not 10 minutes when it had actually been two hours for the whole concert. I couldn’t believe it had ended, and I was actually sort of upset I hadn’t seen it coming.

In conclusion to my rave review of the New York Phil, it was just so great. Peter Laki, UMS correspondent, wrote in the program book: “The classics provide us with much-needed emotional stability in these volatile and uncertain times, and we must make sure we bequeath our love of them to those coming after us, just as we inherited it from those who have been here before.” Truly, nothing is better than that.

3 thoughts to “REVIEW: New York Philharmonic”

1. Loved your review. Now you know how wonderful it is to live in NYC where we can hear this fabulous orchestra regularly (the break between the concerts in Central Park and the opening of the season is hard, but we try to survive on recordings and videos!). I appreciate Peter Laki’s comment. A couple of hours of truly great music that we can be assured will last a thousand years is a huge comfort. And to go to a concert and knwo that for 2 hours +/- one will not be disturbed by the madness of the world is an extraordinary gift to those of us who have discovered it.

2. Loved your review. Now you know how wonderful it is to live in NYC where we can hear this fabulous orchestra regularly (the break between the concerts in Central Park and the opening of the season is hard, but we try to survive on recordings and videos!). I appreciate Peter Laki’s comment. A couple of hours of truly great music that we can be assured will last a thousand years is a huge comfort. And to go to a concert and know that for 2 hours +/- one will not be disturbed by the madness of the world is an extraordinary gift to those of us who have discovered it.

3. Thank you so much! And oh my gosh – if only I lived in New York to see them all the time!! And absolutely agreed : 2 hours of uninterrupted symphonic beauty is truly a marvelous thing. Thanks again for reading 🙂