PREVIEW: Michigan’s Best Dance Crew

When I’m procrastinating on homework, my go-to TV is reality dance competitions. I love the high energy. I love agonizing over who my favorites are. I love attempting my own choreography in my room later and embarrassing myself because I am decidedly not a dancer. Most of all, though, I’m fascinated by dance, by how the dancers and choreographers interpret the songs, by how it seamlessly weaves music, movement, and style. So when I saw that Michigan was hosting its own dance competition, Michigan’s Best Dance Crew, I knew I would be there.

No doubt based on the reality dance show America’s Best Dance Crew, Michigan’s Best Dance Crew is a competition that pits several student dance groups against one another to determine who wins the title. While its namesake show featured exclusively hip-hop groups, the campus version is open to any group who wished to audition, so it’s likely to have something for everyone. And if you’ve always wanted to be Nigel Lythgoe, Bruno Tonioli, or Lil Mama for a night, the People’s Choice Award lets students be the judge.

If you’re like me and love dance, reality competition shows, or dance reality competition shows, come and see Michigan’s Best Dance Crew on November 30 at 7 PM at the Mendelssohn Theatre in the Michigan League. Tickets are $3 in advance at the Michigan Union Ticket Office or $5 at the door.

Aria Gerson

Aria Gerson is a junior majoring in political science with minors in history and writing. Outside of ArtSeen, she covers football for the Michigan Daily and loves sports, trivia and indie music. On any given day, you can find her at Starbucks, watching The Bachelor or crying about Little Women. A former theatre kid, she has been known to randomly burst into song in public. You can find her on Twitter @aria_gerson.